About this church
The Mission Church was dedicated to St Hugh of Lincoln on the 13th January 1898 by the Bishop of Lincoln. This building was used as Langworth's local church until 1962 when the current church was built.
The building of the current church commenced in 1961. The Bishop of Lincoln, the Right Reverend Kenneth Riches had been given the Chapel of Walmsgate Hall near Louth by the Haggas family and he invited the Barlings with Langworth Church Council to view the chapel with him.
The Church Council unanimously agreed to accept the offer and Messrs. Haines and Johnson, architects of Brigg were employed to draw up plans to incorporate as much of Walmsgate Chapel as possible into the new church. In a meeting of the Barlings with Langworth Church Council on 13th October 1959, the minutes record that the roofing timbers, font, oak doors, windows, chancel floor, carved oak beams, canopy and memorial panel and organ were to be used in the building of the new church.
Inside the church are the items used from Walmsgate Hall along with a memorial above the door of a soldier in memory of Haliburton Francis Dallas-Yorke. The Dallas-Yorke's were the original owners of Walmsgate Hall, before selling it to the Haggas family and they built the chapel as a memorial to their son, Haliburton, who died in the South African War. There is also a Bishop's chair and a processional cross inside. Outside a font stands near the church door; all three items being from The Old Mission Church before it was destroyed by fire in 1964.
St Hugh's was completed and dedicated on 8th September 1962 by Right Revd Kenneth Riches.