St Gregory

A railway church.

About this church

This chapel was built in the early 1860s by the Upton family, when the London and North Western Railway was building its Ingleton branch and sent a Scripture Reader to the navvies.

Attached to a cottage, it is a plain building perhaps designed by a railway engineer; but inside a delightful and colourful series of stained glass windows by Frederick George Smith depict river scenes, trees and plants, as well as birds and animals found locally. These were installed in about 1900 when the church was refurnished.

Key Features

  • Spectacular stained glass
  • Glorious furnishings
  • Social heritage stories
  • Famous connections

Visitors information

  • Bus stop within 100m
  • Level access to the main areas
  • On street parking at church
  • Parking within 250m
  • Accessible toilets nearby
  • Dog friendly
  • Walkers & cyclists welcome
  • Space to secure your bike

Other nearby churches

St Andrew

Set in the heart of Sedbergh in a beautifully maintained churchyard the church, which dates from 1130, is a haven of peace.

JaynePotts
CumbriaSEDBERGHCautleyChapel(jaynepottsPERMISSIONBYEMAIL)1

Cautley Chapel

Striking in its symmetry with its central round headed doorway flanked by matching round headed windows, Cautley Wesleyan chapel is a good example of its type and date.

Become a Friend of the National Churches Trust, for people who love church buildings!