About this church
The church was built to the designs of the architect Edward William Godwin of Bristol. The font from the previous church was retained. The serpentine and Caen pulpit was the gift of the Lizard Serpentine Company. The lectern was the gift of Mr Cox, the agent of the company.
The parish was called St Cross in 1261, but by 1310 it was known as St Grada, Virgin. The font dates from the 13th century and the church contains a brass to James Eryssy and his wife, 1522.
Parts of the church, which is built in the Decorated style, are of 13th century origin; the tower dates from around 1400, but the 13th and 14th century nave and chancel were rebuilt in 1862, incorporating some of the original structure.
The construction is mainly of rubble stone, with some large blocks of granite and serpentine in the tower. There are separate slated, steeply sloping roofs for the nave, chancel, vestry and porch. The unbuttressed tower is at the west end and has two stages.