About this church
Elements of the old church survive, including the chancel arch and an ancient doorway. Furnishings and windows include items by Comper and Kempe. There has been a church on this site since 1092.
Much altered and adapted over the years with changing styles of worship, the church was rebuilt and expanded in 1875 according to designs by Healey and Healey of Bradford. Built to serve an impoverished area of Cambridge, and with a plain exterior (the proposed tower was never built), the vast interior has many beautiful features including a striking reredos and screen, statues by German craftsmen, panelling by Comper, and glass by Comper and Kempe.
These 19th and early 20th century masterpieces sit alongside elements incorporated from the original church. The church remains an active place of worship, and remains in the catholic tradition of the Church of England. It is also home to a Romanian Orthodox community, and has an active Friends group.