About this church
The Saxon and Norman architecture is still evident in the tower. Saxon herringbone masonry at the base suggest an original Saxon tower however Norman cornerstones suggest a Norman rebuild at a later stage. The church is entered through a Norman doorway inside the south porch. The doorway is a triple arched with zig zag decoration. The Saxon west door is blocked and a Saxon window inserted with a tympanum apparently formed from a coffin lid. The chancel was restored in 1845 and is neo Norman in style. There are 19th century red stencils of the IHS monogram of Christ and like the ceilings these have been repainted within the last 30 years. The tiled floor around the altar is Victorian and there is a manual pump organ with painted pipes by JW Walker (1852) between the chancel and south chancel aisle. The font is 13th century. From the chancel arch used to hang a maiden's funeral garland and gloves cut out of white paper. These were a memorial to Mary Hill, a girl who died in 1814 as a result of an accident whilst ringing one of the bells. These are now encased for protection and display, and a replica now hangs in the church.