About this church
An agreement of 1357 set out the responsibilities of each congregation, and the building continued as two churches in one until 1539, when both the priory and its mother priory at Bath were dissolved by Henry VIII.
The most notable feature inside is the astonishing screen, dating from 1498. Take time to look closely at the exquisite carving.
Spanning the entire width of the building, the screen was constructed midway down the 'town' part of the church, to separate the parish nave from its choir and sanctuary.
The chancel, with its lancet windows, was rebuilt by the monks in the 13th century, and the priory is also recalled, outside the north transept, by a lovely memorial garden on the former site of its cloister.