About this church
According to Herefordshire folklore the well in front of the church in the field called Duck Pool meadow was the residence of the infamous dragon, and the field behind the church called 'Lower Stanks' was the site of the titanic battle with the legendary knight.
The stone one is a reset tympanum showing the saint killing the dragon. It is one of great works of the 12th century Herefordshire School of mason/sculptors. The glass St George is from the 14th century and is in the east window, along with other figures from the same period.
Poet William Wordsworth was a regular visitor to Brinsop. There are windows to William and the Wordsworth women all of whom visited regularly( as Thomas Hutchinson, Wordsworth's brother in law was tenant farmer of the local manor house). There is also a headstone in memory of one of the Wordsworth's servants Jane Winder who died during one of the visits. The stone was erected by William and Mary.
Francis Kilvert, also visited, his diary records that he visited the church on 13th March 1879.