About this church
There is an interesting feature in the nave. Notice that the slender columns supporting the arches are circular on the older north side and octagonal on the south side. The west wall of the church, with the doorway to the tower, shows clearly the outline of an earlier, lower roof. The arched recess in the north wall is above the tomb stone of John de Thevelby of Scotton, who died in 1316. The inscription is only partly legible but is unusual in being along the top of the stone only, rather than all round it. Under a window in the south aisle is a late 13th century recumbent effigy of a cross legged knight with chain mail and sur coat, his feet resting on a lion. This knight could possibly be Robert de Nevill, who went to Jerusalem in 1290. The Nevill family were Lords of the Manor of Scotton for more than two centuries from 1145. Nearby is an effigy of a lady, possibly of the Nevill family, from the late 15th century. She has flowing robes and her feet are resting on a dog.