About this church
Prior to 1860 there was a building on the site used for worship, the only evidence of this are traces of Norman foundation having previously been uncovered. There is no mention of a church in Sudbrooke in the Domesday Book. However, it appears that patronage was granted to nearby Barlings Abbey sometime prior to 1322 as in this year the patronage was confirmed to the Canons of Barlings Abbey by Alice, Countess of Lincoln. The patronage was then granted to the Bishop of Lincoln by Barlings Abbey in 1334 where it remains to this day. The interior of St Edwards is largely intact. The apse, where the altar is situated, has an unusual blue-starred painted, vaulted domed ceiling with three stained glass windows surrounding. The pulpit is in the style of a Norman rectangular box, decorated with arcading and standing on a massive singular column. A solitary reminder of the previous church is a fine Early English capital, known locally as the 'Pillar of Salt', which lies on the chancel floor.