About this church
It is particularly notable for hosting some of the most exquisite monuments in Britain.
With Saxon origins and Norman remains, the church is distinguished by its chancel, which contains an exceptional grouping of four world class monuments, to the last three generations of the Montagu family of nearby Boughton House. It was designed and built, in 1754, by Louis Francois Roubiliac, the greatest sculptor active in England in the 18th century, to house his individual monuments to John, Duke of Montagu and his wife, Duchess Mary.
The chancel had two other empty niches, which were subsequently filled by monuments to John and Mary’s daughter and granddaughter. In 2014 – 2015 the Montagu Monuments conservation project undertook major works to all four of the principal monuments to secure and protect them from damage caused by time and environmental issues, including pollution and high humidity levels.