About this church
There are traces of a circular churchyard and a 12th century pillar piscina from the Norman church survives. Transepts were added to the Norman nave and choir during the 13th to 14th centuries. Then in the 15th the south aisle replaced the south transept and a tower was built.
Medieval glass in the windows was probably smashed by Parliamentarian soldiers leaving only minor remnants in the tops of the windows. The tower was struck by lightning in 1781 and three of the four pinnacles from the tower were thrown off and fell through the ceiling of the church. Repairs were carried out, but by the early 19th century the church was in a sad state of disrepair.