About this church
It was built in 1837 on the site of the 12th century Augustinian Priory of St Botolph. It stands where the monastic kitchens and refectory were, adjacent to the impressive ruins of the Priory Church. Its architecture, inside and out, reflects that of its 12th century predecessor.
St Botolph’s church, dominated by its massive tower, was built in white brick, earning itself the nickname 'The White Elephant'. The external brickwork has weathered to a darker hue, but, inside, the visitor is greeted by a bright contrast of white, scarlet and gold.
The church retains its original plan and most of its three sided gallery in the style of the London gallery churches. The east windows are of splendid Flemish stained glass and a window in the south aisle commemorates Archbishop Samuel Harsnett, who was born in the parish.
The particularly fine organ is by JW Walker, 1890. The nave was reordered in the 1970s by the removal of the pews, resulting in an extremely flexible interior, while preserving the sense of the original building.