About this church
A living church occupying an ancient monastic site on the historic walls of Derry.
Derry is one of the oldest continuously inhabited places in Ireland.
For thousands of years people have been living in the area and it has been claimed that a monastery was founded there by St Colmcille (Columba). Between the 6th century and the 11th century, Derry was known primarily as a monastic settlement.
St Augustine's church is known as the 'Wee Church on the Walls' and is thought to be the site of the 6th century monastery in the Doire Calgach area on the east side of the River Foyle near the city walls. The site was granted by a local king. The monastery then remained in the hands of the federation of Columban churches who regarded St Colmcille as their spiritual mentor.
The present building dates from 1872 and is in the design of 13th century gothic style. It was dedicated by Bishop William Alexander, the husband of the famous hymn writer Frances Cecil Alexander. St Augustine's is one of two locations in the city that claim to be the site of St Columba's original monastery.
The church nestles serenely on the Grand Parade of the Walls of Derry and is acknowledged as the oldest Christian site in the city, stretching back to the 6th century. Throughout the centuries, it has remained a most sacred and religious site, often in the face o great turmoil. An oasis of peace in the midst of a buy city, it is foremost a place of spirituality, sanctity, pilgrimage and a live church with a worshipping congregation.
Enjoy a virtual tour here: