About this church
Built near to the site of a Benedictine priory, St Andrew’s is grade 2* listed and has medieval origins with additions in the 15th century. However what we see today is mainly as a result of the 1863 restoration by Ewan Christian, a date which can be found on the rainwater hoppers!
Built of greenstone, the west end of the church has a large buttress supporting the bell cote with windows on either side. The chancel however is medieval and contains medieval fabric.
Built into the east wall of the nave, to either side of the chancel arch are fragments of an elaborately carved 13th century cross. On the north side the panel, which has a nail head decoration, depicts the crucifixion scene, the figure on the cross being flanked by two figures and the foot of Christ is nailed with one nail. Beneath is foliate decoration, which is continued on the panel on the south side.
St Andrew’s has two fonts, in 1930, a 12th century octagonal font was recovered from below the altar. The church also has a modern 19th century font.