About this church
There has been a Christian church in Harberton since 1100. The current building, featured in Simon Jenkins '1000 Best Churches', dates from the 15th century. The Norman 'girdle' font is one of only twelve in Devon; the rood screen's original wooden panels, replaced with metal ones in Victorian times, are still on display; the octagonal pulpit is outstanding, with rich foliate decoration and German statues and there is a beautifully carved sedilia. The marble reredos and the surrounding red and gold east wall hangings give a wonderfully warm glow to the sanctuary.
A Friends of St Andrew's Scheme has been running for a while and this, together with church repair fundraising events, will support wider fundraising. In the last few years this fundraising enabled work to be done on the very lovely porch but we are faced with major works to be carried out on the roof and the tower, and plenty more. We have been able to get the church bells ringing again, and the clock is being repaired, and the boiler replaced. Some very dedicated and valued volunteers look after the basic building maintenance and extensive churchyard.
The village is fortunate to have an excellent pub in the Square and a good parish hall with a playing field, with many activities centred in both. In Harbertonford (2 miles) there is a church school, a garage and a post office. The village is felt to be a very special place in which to live.