About this church
St Andrew's was built in 1783 and is a Grade II listed building. The church is a combination of two Presbyterian churches, the other was based in Branton three miles away. The two combines in 1978, five years after the Presbyterian and Congregational churches became the United Reformed Church. The Presbyterian congregation of Glanton saw it's first Minusyer ordained in the new meeting house (our church) in May 1784.
St Andrew's was built in 1783 and retains quite a few of the original features, although the 1912 georgraphy of the church was changed inside and outside to allow easier access. Before the alteration there were galleries on three sides, only one remains. The 1912 alterations included the replacement of all the woodwork, up until then the pulpit stood between the two long windows on the south side with the pews facing inward towards it. With the new pulpit was built a platform to accomodate elders, choir and communion table.
The present pipe organ, by Ruchworth and Dreaper, has been in use since 1922. The clock in the gable end, whic stikes hours and quaters, was installed in 1891 to commemmorate 25 years ministry of Revd RH Davidson. The bell was rung to announce the services until the Second World War.
The church Manse was built in the 1930s, but largely rebuilt in 1871. The church hall was built in 1905 at a cost of £603.9s.3d, the whole amount being raised at a two day bazaar. From about 1820 onwards the church has it's own school in a building on the south side of the lane leading to the rear of the church behind the cottages.
St Andrew's today has a very small congregation, services are held fortnightly.