About this church
Dating from the 9th century, Farlesthorpe was originally a Danish settlement. The origins of the name of Farlesthorpe are unknown but in the Doomsday Book it is given as Haroldestrop. It has also been spelt as Earlsthorpe and Faraldesthorpe.
The present church was built in 1800, smaller than the original, being of brick and stone. The small polygonal apsed chancel was added in 1912. The altar slab is ancient and there is a large stone font with a wooden lid.
St Andrew’s was extensively restored in 1953. The outer structure being brick with part of the interior lined with some of the original stone. The church has Lombardized Georgian windows with Y traceries. There is a small entrance porch and a stone bell cote with one bell.