About this church
Both the church and town have strong connections to the Wesley family; Reverend Samuel Wesley was Rector here from 1695 to 1735. His sons John (the founder of World Methodism) and Charles (a prolific hymn writer) were born and brought up in Epworth. After his ordination John was curate for a time to his father and in later life, when he was denied access to the church to preach, he did so from his father’s tomb.
Outside the south door in the choir stands the tomb of Samuel Wesley the father of John and Charles. To the right hand side of Samuel Wesley’s tomb when facing the church is a very small headstone to a Thomas Cutforth. Thomas Cutforth was believed to be a highwayman who was executed in Lincoln Prison.
The green site immediately to the south of the church is the site of the Mowbray Manor House probably going back to the 12th century. The crest of the Mowbrays can be seen in stone in the north porch. At the rear of the nave is a 16th century parish chest with a lid carved from a single tree.