About this church
Much of the present building is 600 and 800 years old but AngloSaxon cross fragments suggest a much earlier church. Constructed in stages between mid 12th and early 15th century with Victorian additions. The nave roof with its arch braces and wall posts resting on stone corbels dates from this early 15th century and is therefore one of the architectural treasures of the church. The porch was added in the late 19th century but the door itself is much older, with one inscription on it reading 'WH 1578' believed to be a joiner's mark. The north and south aisles of the nave contain a fine collection of medieval stained glass.
The wooden communion rail dates back to the early 1600s. The four carved stone heads above the pillars of the north arcade depict the ordering of medieval society and date to about 1200. There is a squint beside chancel arch. Grave slabs on the floor of the north aisle are 13th century and 15th century. The alabaster Ogle Tomb depicting two figures: Ralph, Lord Ogle, a notable Tudor notable courtier (died 1513) and his wife Lady Margaret Gascoigne. In the churchyard three medieval stone coffins would originally have been inside.
The War Memorial is flanked by a Weeping Ash tree to the left representing the tears of the bereaved and on the right, the leaves of the Japanese Maple turn bright red in the autumn, symbolising the blood of the fallen. History closely related to nearby Bothal Castle.