About this church
The first chapel in Looe was founded by Sir Harry Trelawny, a Cornish eccentric, who converted to Congregationalism and built a chapel in West Looe Square in 1777. After he returned to the Church of England he pulled down his chapel, but his flock built another in 1797 on the site of the present Riverside Church. The present building was built by the thriving worshiping community in 1881 and has considerable historic interest.
Easily found from the A38 and then the A387 and just 20 miles from Plymouth. It is one of the earliest united churches in the country, when in 1966 two Methodist chapels in Looe as well as the Congregational Church (now URC) decided to come together as Riverside United Church. Riverside is owned by the URC and is pastorally part of the Liskeard and Looe Methodist Circuit.
In 1995 Riverside was completely refurbished when the old pews downstairs were removed and replaced by comfortable seating that can be arranged so that better use can be made of the sanctuary area. The pipe organ was also removed and we now have a very fine digital organ that sounds amazing. Riverside has the largest seating capacity of any building at sea level in Looe and excellent acoustics, so Riverside is used for a variety of concerts throughout the year.
Riverside is the first church in Cornwall to receive an Eco Bronze award. The church is more than the building, it is also the people, and the atmosphere at Riverside is special. Come and see for yourselves, a warm welcome awaits all.