About this church
It was the home of Benedictine Monks from St Laurence's Monastery, Ampleforth for 199 years before being given over to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Lancaster in 2009. It has a distinctive large vaulted interior designed to enhance musical and liturgical acoustics.
Situated close to Workington town centre and set in extensive grounds, surrounded by mature trees, the church of Our Lady Star of the Sea & St Michael is designed in Gothic Revival (Early English) style.
Above the front door is a bellcote below which is a large carved stone crucifix, a carving of Our Lady Star of the Sea and a carved tympanum depicting the Coronation of Our Lady.
The church has a 5 bay aisles with clerestory and transepts. It has a ‘full set’ of superb stained glass windows by Barnet of Leith and Hardman of Birmingham.
Has a large number of wood furnishings by Robert ‘Mouseman' Thompson of Kilburn and a number of 15th century alabaster reliefs, originating from Jervaulx Abbey, North Yorkshire.
The octagonal shaped Baptistry dedicated to the dead of two World Wars and more recent conflicts was designed by Harry Stuart Goodhart-Rendell and decorated Geoffrey Burnand.
The Sanctuary with carved misericords depicting Aesop's fables whilst the fronts bear the coats of arms of eighteen former Benedictine cathedrals and abbeys.
Also features a High Altar and two side altars with carved Caen stone reredos and a pulpit of alabaster with open brass and oak balustrade.
The nave arcade has deeply moulded arches carried on Goraghwood granite columns.
The Grade II pipe organ by William Hill & Co was installed in 1906.
A Celtic cross stands at the entrance to the grounds in remembrance of Abbot Cuthbert Clifton who was instrumental in building the church.