About this church
Woodhall Spa, though founded circa 1838, flourished only in the last decade of the 19th century and the first decade of the 20th century.
The London architect, R Adolphus Came laid out a planned development in 1887 and subsequently settled in the town, designing many of its buildings, including the Catholic church. Came’s original drawings remain in the Diocesan archives. They show that the building was intended as a ‘chapel or school room’ but there is no evidence that it was ever used for the latter purpose. The sanctuary was never built and the drawings show entrance by a north porch, also never built, entry always being from the west.
A bomb landed near the church in 1943. The damage was so extensive that repair was at first considered impracticable. Extensions and alterations were made in 2000 and 2007.