About this church
The membership of Longcauseway Church is very proud of their church building and work hard to keep it in good order. This very attractive third Ebenezer Chapel on this site was opened on 15th January 1884. It cost £8891 and could seat 800 people. It was cleared of debt in April 1890.
The 19th century saw the large non conformist chapels being built in Dewsbury. There were six Wesley and Methodist, and a Friends' Meeting House, but no Congregational chapel before 1815.
The Nonconformist chapels were all solidly square or rectangular, with two aisles and galleries on three sides. All the seating faced the pulpit, most of which could accommodate several persons. The pulpit was made of wood and built high to give the preacher a commanding view of the congregation and vice versa.
The decoration of the chapels relied on the money available, and the views of the members. Some had beautifully carved woodwork on the pew ends, choir stalls and pulpit, or ornamental wrought iron work and polished brass. Others were unadorned and austere. The organ became a status symbol and a dominant visual feature, centrally placed and great emphasis was placed on singing.
Many chapels were two storied buildings, with school rooms below the chapel, which made economical use of a small site. With the 20th century began the decline of the chapels.
On 5th October 1972 most of the Congregational churches in England and Wales united with the Presbyterian Church of England to form the United Reformed Church, the first ever coming together of denominations in England. Dewsbury United Congregational Church was among them. We are now Longcauseway Church, United Reformed and Methodist.