About this church
The Normans began the construction of the original St Martin’s church of around 900 years ago.
It was rebuilt and enlarged between the 13th and 15th centuries and became the ‘Civic Church’, with strong links with the merchants and guilds (with the Guildhall being located nearby).
Just over 100 years ago the Victorian Architect, Raphael Brandon, magnificently restored and, in places, rebuilt the church, including the addition of a 220ft spire.
When the Diocese of Leicester was re-established in 1927, the church was hallowed as Leicester Cathedral.