About this church
King Charles church was designed by Thomas Neale and opened in 1676. Neale was an renowned entrepreneur and property developer of the Stuart Period who was responsible for Seven Dials in London’s Covent Garden. His legacy is commemorated there in the name of Neal’s Yard.
The church is a rare example of English 17th century church building, most of the finest churches of this era having been destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666. It is typical of a single room auditory church (or preaching box) that was in fashion at the time, a form of church building that was made popular by Sir Christopher Wren’s London churches erected after the fire.
King Charles church is especially noted for its spectacular ornate ceiling, festooned with fruit, cherubs heads and palms, plasterwork of the highest quality executed by craftsmen who had worked for Wren.
Queen Victoria, one of history’s most celebrated monarchs, reigned as Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland for 63 years (1837-1901), Britain’s second longest reigning sovereign. In 1835, then aged 16, Princess Victoria attended worship at King Charles church with her mother. The pair sat together in the north gallery.