Inch Abbey

On the north bank of the Quoile River, Inch Abbey was founded by John de Courcy in atonement for his destruction of Erenagah Abbey.

About this church

Before the Abbey was built there, there was a pre-Norman church called Inis Cumhscraigh on the site, which was plundered by Vikings in 1002. Its large earthworks, which can clearly been seen from the air, still survive in parts. 

The buildings are mainly from the 12th and 13th centuries while it is believed the church is older than that at Grey Abbey which was built about 1193.

Inch signifies an island and it has been the site of an abbey from the first millennium. The site was raided by Vikings in 1002. The original site was on the large hill behind the east window. This would have overlooked Strangford Lough which surrounded the island until the 1700s.

When John de Courcy arrived at Downpatrick in 1177 and fought off the Irish the waters around the site were said to have been red with the blood that was spilt. He had also destroyed another abbey in the area known as Erenagh. 

As a mark of his penance he built the present ruins in 1180 and brought in monks from Furness. One of these monks, Jocelin, wrote The Life and Times of Saint Patrick here. Across the water is Down Cathedral where Patrick is buried with Saints Columba and Brigid.

Enjoy a virtual tour of Inch Abbey here.

Key Features

  • Captivating architecture
  • Enchanting atmosphere
  • Social heritage stories
  • National heritage here

Visitors information

  • Level access to the main areas
  • Car park at church
  • Walkers & cyclists welcome
  • Space to secure your bike

Other nearby churches


Down Cathedral

Welcome to the Cathedral, close to which we believe the mortal remains of Saint Patrick lie buried, not merely a tourist attraction but a place of pilgrimage and prayer for all people.


Portico Church

One of the best Greek Revival buildings in Great Britain and Ireland.

Help support ExploreChurches by becoming a Friend of the National Churches Trust