Holy Trinity

References to the Holy Trinity in St Andrews can be traced back over 1,000 years and the oldest parts of the current building are the tower and some of the pillars, which date back to the church built here in 1412.

About this church

In the 1800s it was considerably altered, but a major restoration in 1909 restored the church to its original floorplan. The architect responsible was Peter MacGregor Chalmers, known for his sympathetic historical work.

John Knox, often called the father of Presbytarianism, preached here when the church was 'reformed' from being Catholic to Protestant. He is commemorated in the south porch. There is also a grand black and white marble monument depicting Archbishop Sharp receiving a crown from heaven. He was assassinated in 1679.

The elaborately carved font of Caen stone with figures in the pedestal, and the memorial pulpit carved from Iona marble, alabaster and onyx, are also worthy of note. The real splendour, however, is in the Arts and Crafts wooden furnishings, with many in the Hunter Memorial Aisle, and the variety of finely executed stained glass by leading artists. Contributors include Douglas Strachan, Herbert Hendrie and William Wilson.

The badges of all the Scottish regiments of World War I are set into the clerestory windows.

Further admirable features include the oak barrel roof, a Harrison & Harrison organ, and a 27 bell carillon by Taylor of Loughborough. The operator of this contraption manipulates levers that move the bell hammers to play music.

Key Features

  • Captivating architecture
  • Spectacular stained glass
  • Magnificent memorials
  • Glorious furnishings
  • Social heritage stories
  • National heritage here
  • Famous connections

Visitors information

  • Level access to the main areas
  • On street parking at church
  • Parking within 250m
  • Accessible toilets nearby
  • Dog friendly
  • Walkers & cyclists welcome
  • Space to secure your bike

Other nearby churches

St Athernase

St Athernase has a commanding hilltop position over the town and, thankfully, since its construction in the 12th century, waves of neglect and 'improvement' have not harmed its most distinctive Norman feature: the elaborate 12th century chancel and apse at the east end.

Lirazelf
TaysideDUNDEEDundeeCathedral(lirazelfCC-BY-SA3.0)1

Dundee Cathedral

The cathedral, the facade of which is in the Victorian Gothic design, was built by the architect George Mathewson and opened on 7 August 1836.

KimTraynor
TaysideDUNDEEDundeeStPaulCathedral(kimtraynorCC-BY-SA2.0)1

St Paul's Cathedral

Completed in 1855 the Cathedral was designed by George Gilbert Scott in the style of the Middle or Decorated period of Gothic architecture.

Become a Friend of the National Churches Trust, for people who love church buildings!