About this church
In the early 19th century, the inhabitants of South Shore began to talk about building a church. The church was built in 1836 on a site among sandhills. In 1886, a squall of wind made the roof ridge supports sag and a new church had to be built. From the old church we have the keystone, which is over the church entrance, and two original stained glass windows.
The plans of the new church were drawn up by Richard Kniel Freeman. His work was mainly ecclesiastical, and across the northwest, but he also designed buildings abroad. He built the only Anglican church in Moscow and a church and house in San Remo.
Holy Trinity is considered to be his 'chef d'oeuvre' (his very best work). The total cost of the church was £14,000; this great sum (at that time) was raised mainly through the generosity of parishioners. It is one of the finest examples of ecclesiastical architecture in the town.