About this church
Striking architectural features include a carved wooden Reredos featuring Celtic saints and fine stained glass windows. Links to the well known hymn'O Perfect Love'; and the Redmayne family of Brathay Hall make this an interesting church to explore.
The church was built in 1834 entirely funded by Mr Giles Redmayne who lived at Brathay Hall. The Cookson family of Clappersgate gave the land and many local farmers helped by transporting building materials from the local quarries.
The choice of site was influenced by William Wordsworth who is quoted as saying 'There is not a more beautiful situation outside of the Alps or among them than this'.
The church is positioned in a north/south direction rather than the traditional east/west because of the lack of suitable level space. Mr Giles Redmayne requested the Architect, John Latham, should design the church in the Romanesque style.
The large stained glass window above the altar depicts the Risen Christ with Saints George and Alban on either side. On the wooden carved reredos behind the altar are four Celtic Saints, Kentigern, Cuthbert, Oswald and Columba.
In the chancel, there is a wooden barrel arched ceiling, in the nave there is a wooden beamed roof and the side walls of the nave have interesting stained glass as well as plain glass windows giving in exceptional light to the space.
As you enter the church gates the Old Sunday School building (which was originally above the cottage accessed by a wooden outside staircase) was built as a memorial to the Redmaynes, as was the Day school now a Community Centre at Skelwith Bridge. Tombs of the Redmayne family to the west of the church are well worth a visit.
The words of the now well known hymn 'O Perfect Love' were written especially for the marriage of Hugh Redmayne to Katherine Blomfield in Holy Trinity Church in 1883 by her sister Dorothy. It is set to the tune ‘Strength and Stay.
We hope you enjoy the peace and tranquillity of this much loved church.