About this church
The church can be traced back to the 12th century with the four bays of Norman arches and pillars on the north side of the nave. By the end of the 14th century it gained a double bellcote with the original bells which are still rung at every service.
In the 15th century the west wing of the church was renovated in the perpendicular style and the font dates back to between 1485-1500 AD. It is octagonal in shape with lozenge shapes containing flower heads and a shield. In the 17th century a repair was effected to the south side of the nave and the chancel and the chosen material was red brick at a cost of £180. The vicar at the time, a certain Revd Robert Clarke, paid for the work at his own expense. The Jacobean pulpit and gallery were installed by the same rector who also rebuilt the rectory.
In the 19th century new communion rails were installed by the Revd EJ Hone and the two carved chairs were donated by the wife of Revd JE Welby. Sometime between 1914 and 1917 the chancel arch was widened. The north window was blocked off and a vestry was added. In more recent times a stained glass Peace Window was made by the renowned Tony Holloway who spent many years working on windows at Manchester Cathedral.