About this church
In a woodland setting away from the village, it stands on the site of an earlier church, dating back to the 12th century when the manor of Ossington was given first to the abbey of Lenton and then to the Knights of the Hospital of St John.
Some memorials from this first church are preserved in the present one, which still retains its character as an estate church. But the rebuilding to plans of John Carr of York was so thorough that no other traces of the previous building remain.
The church is in excellent condition and contains many interesting monuments and statues, together with some impressive late 19th and 20th century stained glass windows. The most striking is that by George Cooper Abbs.
There is a rare brass on a box tomb dedicated to Reginald Peckham (died 1551) and his wife, Frances Cartwright, whose family acquired Ossington at the Reformation. Several other Cartwright memorials survive including an impressive early 17th century tomb. There are two organs: a Victorian positive organ and a barrel organ of 1836.
The redundant graveyard contains some tombs predating the rebuilding. The new graveyard, was formerly the rose garden of Ossington Hall.