About this church
The foundation stone was laid in November 1962 and the church consecrated in December 1964 by the Rt Revd Lord Coggan, Archbishop of York. The main doorway dates from c1180 and is from St Mary’s. It has a rounded Norman arch and has nook shafts in the corners of the jambs. Turning to the right is the arcade.
The first three bays from the door are Norman c1180. When St Mary’s was enlarged 100 years later, three bays of octagonal columns and pointed arches were added. On the south wall an aumbry or piscina can be seen c1350. It is of trefoil design, and was used at St Mary’s for communion vessels. Built into the south wall of the church is a small stone crucifix, again from St Mary’s c1350. It is thought to be part of a late mediaeval tombstone, and has a Latin inscription.
The pulpit was built of stone from St Mary’s and was designed in 1964. The altar is made of oak and was carved by Robert Thompson of Kilburn. It was given in memory of Mildred Crosthwaite obit 1935, a daughter of a former Bishop of Whitby. It was previously used in the Church hall from 1937. The altar covers, designed by Ronald Sims for the Silver Jubilee of the church and worked by Rosemary Walker of Knutsford, are dedicated to the memory of Reginald and Evelyn Cable.
Above the altar, an empty cross symbolises that suffering, evil and death have been overcome by the Holy Redeemer, after whom the church is named. The cross is made of iron by W Dowson in 1964 has in its centre a 9th or 10th century Saxon cross, found at St Mary’s. The stained glass windows were given in memory of Eileen Darley SRN, a former member of the Sunday School and Girls Fellowship who died when a young nurse in Kenya.
In 1964, the font was made specially for the church out of hard stone. The lectern was again made in 1964 using stone from St Mary's. The vicar's stalls were made by AE Houghton from oak and wrought iron and are extremely heavy! The altar rails and the pews were also made by AE Houghton. The Lady Chapel is found opposite the main door of the church. It was named as a tribute to the memory of the church of St Mary the Elder, Bishophill.
The bells are originally from Haxby parish church. They were both recast after being damaged by fire. They are rung by swinging the clappers. One of the most recognizable features of the church is the clock. This also dates from 1964. The dial was designed by George Pace and was regilded for the Silver Jubilee.