About this church
In the mid 1750’s the ancient church here, attached to the medieval Priory, was swept away and David Hiorne of Warwick (1715 - 1758) was commissioned to replace it. His building is a noble classical edifice in rich warm iron stone.
The well articulated west end, centred on a portico, supports a massive tower topped by an obelisk style spire. At the other end the projecting chancel closes a venetian window.
Internally Tuscan columns support the plaster groin vaults, behind them galleries hang on three sides.
The original box pews were reduced in height as part of EW Law’s restoration in the late 19th century. This also included the enrichment of the decoration around the altar.
In the 1960’s Dykes Bower modified the Victorian changes and in doing so strengthened the original 18th century qualities of the interior.