About this church
The church of the Holy Cross is thatched and consists of a nave, chancel, western tower and north porch all built in flint with stone quoins. The tomb of Sir John de Caston 1374 is reputed to be located in an alcove in the north wall of the nave.
The splendid collared scissor truss roof is barrel shaped with chestnut boarding and painted in barber's pole fashion with gilded bosses. From the chancel roof a fine brass candelabra is suspended containing eighteen candles in two tiers. This may have originally came from Hampton Court Palace. The most ancient seats in the chancel are both on the south side and are misericords. These being hinged which, when turned up, have on their undersides a shelf to provide support for a person standing. The shelves bear beautifully carved heads.
The main west door of the church has an ogee arch, each side being made up of two curves which meet in an apex, an unusual feature in this part of Norfolk. The tower is at the western end of the nave and has six bells which are rung from the ringers gallery. The parvis or priest's room is located in the extreme western end of the north wall of the nave where a flight of spiral steps leads directly into the room. The nave windows are Perpendicular and generally have clear glass.
The roof was rethatched with Norfolk reed in 2018. A small kitchenette area was created as part of the renovation project in the same year. Toilet facilities were incorporated into part of the vestry in 2021.