About this church
Converted from a 15th century cottage in 1862, a small group of local Christians worshipped at 'Union Chapel'. The benefactor was Mrs Satterthwaite. In 1926 the chapel was passed to the Wesleyan Methodist Conference. It still looks much as it did then and the American harmonium, over 100 years old, is still played.
Tucked away in a corner of the main square it has been a place of worship since 1862. It is a 15th century cottage which was given to the non-conformists in the area by a Mrs Satterthwaite and left to the Methodist Church after her husband’s death, making it the oldest building used for Methodist worship in the world. It remains very much as it was in the early 1900s.
Small and compact inside, with a small gallery to the west. The Smith American Organ Co ‘Connoisseur’ reed organ, built in Boston probably in the 1880s
It is open every day for prayer and quiet meditation.