About this church
Land for a burial ground was purchased off Broad Lane in 1676. At that time Quakers met for worship at sites like this, or in their own homes.
Land and buildings for a meeting house and stable were eventually purchased in 1707, on the west of Scargill Croft, off Hartshead. An orchard was bought as a burial ground and over the next 100 years various meeting house buildings were constructed. At one point the seating capacity of the Meeting House was 800 people.
A Friends Adult School building, seating 500, was added in 1871. However, during the bombings raids of December 1940, the main buildings were gutted by fire. Friends met in temporary accommodation until, in 1947, Sheffield Council erected a temporary wooden building on the site of the old Adult School. Eventually a replacement Meeting House was built on High Court in 1964. This was, in turn, purchased for redevelopment and Friends moved to their present Sheffield Quaker Meeting House on St James Street in 1991.
The building is a fine piece of architecture, fitting in well to the Cathedral Conservation Area. Visitors are welcome to use the library and browse the collection. The building also runs as a conference centre.