About this church
The meeting in Hertford had started as early as 1655 (just three years after the foundation of the movement), gathering in the local butcher’s house. He purchased land to serve as the community’s burial ground and subsequently a meeting house was built on a plot belonging to another local Friend.
It is the oldest Meeting House built by Friends that has remained in unbroken use. The building’s harmonious simplicity, including reused timbers, is in keeping with Quaker testimonies of simplicity, truth, equality and peace.
George Fox himself visited the Meeting House on at least three occasions. Some damage was sustained to the house around 1683 which was repaired and in 1717 sash windows were installed, which were replaced in 1731.