About this church
The East Church reflects the history of the community it served through the centuries. It was founded in medieval times and was altered and reorientated after the Reformation. The interior dates principally from the 18th century with galleries added to accommodate the growing congregation, the most elaborate being the Cromartie loft of 1756. There are 18th and 19th century box pews , some of which display original painted decoration and several fine monuments. The surrounding graveyard contains a number of memorials carved by the geologist, writer and church reformer Hugh Miller (1802-1856).
In the care of Historic Churches Scotland.