About this church
John Wesley’s final visit to Boston was in 1780 at the age of 77. The first meeting house, built in 1764, was in Wormgate and although small the congregation found it difficult to maintain. This was outgrown and a new chapel was opened in Red Lion Street in 1808 which lasted only 31 years when it too became too small for the growing congregation. The Society therefore moved to its present site in 1839, with a new large and imposing building.
The church in that form lasted until 1909 when much of it was destroyed by fire on 29 June. The Society members met this with courage and determination though, and within a year, in October, a new building was constructed which was almost identical in plan to the one which was destroyed. Further construction work followed in 1914 in response to structural movement in the two stair towers which led to their rebuilding in that year. This led to the church in its current form and appearance.
The beautiful hall interior at the front of the church, is notable for its lightness, the many windows on both ground and gallery levels being augmented by large lay lights in the curved ceiling. There are plaster mouldings to the ceiling panels and a deeply moulded fibrous plaster arch spans the choir and organ space. The organ is a very fine 3 manual instrument by Cousans of Lincoln.
At the rear of the church an extensive older building on two levels, with a fine balcony, contains the Central Hall, kitchen and other rooms for church and community activities. Community meals, a café and a small shop specialising in Fairtrade goods operate from these spaces There is also a Little Chapel which provides a place for private prayer and meditation as well as services for small congregations.