About this church
There has been a Methodist presence in the village since the early 1800’s. Eventually there were two separate chapels operating next to each other. These were a Bible Christian Chapel situated where the present chapel is and a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel at the site of the old Post Office.
The present chapel was completed in 1903 and is in memory of Revd William Reed who came from the south of the parish and was very much part of the early Bible Christian movement. His son, Revd William Bryan Reed, was involved in the setting up of Edgehill College in Bideford (now Kingsley School). His son was also a Methodist Minister.
In 1932 the various parts of the Methodist movement came together to form the present day Methodist church and the old Wesleyan chapel was closed. Over the years the Methodist chapel and parish church, across the village green, have worked together and now there is a weekly united worship using both buildings.
A major development is the conversion of the Vestry to an area that has been leased to the village community shop.