About this church
The village is located five miles north east of Dulverton.
The tower (completed in 1220) is the oldest part of the church, the nave having been rebuilt in the Perpendicular style in the 16th century, with an elegant arcaded north aisle and Lady Chapel added. The stained glass east window by Charles Kempe was endowed in 1900 by Edmund Warre, Head Master of Eton College, who spent much time in the parish. He also gave the altar rail. A beautiful fan vaulted rood screen was unfortunately removed in Victorian times and disappeared without trace, but the steps to the rood loft can be seen. The pulpit is Jacobean. The original chancel and the 14th century south transept were rebuilt in 1885 in the Decorated style.
The historic organ is an unspoilt creation of TC Lewis, first built in 1872 and brought here in 1897, and was authentically restored in 2014. The Jacobean chest in the Lady Chapel was restored in 1875. Behind the 14th century font (restored in 1885) there is a book containing biographies of all the WW1 dead commemorated on the memorial outside, and a churchyard map and index of graves.