About this church
Ampleforth Abbey is home to a community of Benedictine monks who seek God according to the Gospel and the Rule of St Benedict. The Abbey church is a major work by the distinguished 20th century architect, Sir Giles Gilbert Scott OM.
Replacing a mid 19th century church by Charles Hansom, it was built in two phases. The earlier phase consisted of the Romanesque style retrochoir and high altar, built over a crypt and completed in 1922. It is richly carved with blue Hornton stone dressings.
The visitor centre tells the day to day life of the monastic community and the vows they take, the history of Ampleforth Abbey and College and the orchard and cider production, as well as a video compiled by the Community. Children can enjoy completing the 'Mouse Hunt' and arranging the clues to obtain the password to the Abbey!