About this church
Founded in the 12th century but dating mostly from the early 14th century, the church has an elegant four-bay arcade and tall chancel lighted by flat headed windows. Although extensively restored in 1891, St Michael still contains a rare stone lectern, a stone font dating from the 13th century and a fine brass to Richard Blackwall, his wife and children, which is dated 1505.
There is a strong history and tradition of spirituality in the area with the oldest Neolithic chambered tombs in England at Five Wells above the village. The Norman cross in the church yard probably marks the site of an earlier church. In the churchyard also are known to be the 19th century unmarked graves of orphans from Litton Mill. Within the church can be found coffin lids, three fonts and 17th and 18th century memorial grave slabs.
An annual Well Dressing and Flower Festival is held in the church, churchyard and around the village during the third week of August each year.