About this church
It is the magnificent nave roof that makes the church so renowned. It was constructed of oak in 1513 and is of the tie beam style that is so often found in churches in this area, but the craftsmen excelled themselves here. It has been calculated that there are over 700 individual wooden panels in the roof, each with a different pattern within it. On the cross beams are angels with outstretched wings.
Below the roof and between the clerestory windows are carved niches, each one different, and with painted apostles dating from the 17th century on the back walls.