About this church
The first record of a church was in the early 12th century, when the powerful Herbert the Chamberlain granted it to his son, William (St William of York). The most likely building date is between 1110-1130, and is seems likely that Herbert himself built the church.
The south doorway dates from the original church built by Herbert, but it is not the oldest part of the south porch. That honour goes to a small Anglo Danish cross head set into the wall above the south door, which probably dates to the 10th century.
The north aisle is 13th century, as is the chapel and lower part of the west tower. The upper section of the tower is 15th century, in Perpendicular style.
Inside, the font is 13th century. The pulpit dates to 1719 and is a cut down version of what was originally a triple decker. Much earlier is a small brass set in the chancel floor, commemorating Margaret, Lady Clifford (d1493). Lady Margaret was the wife of 'Butcher' Clifford and mother of the 'Shepherd Lord', who was brought up locally by a family of shepherds.
More modern but even more interesting is the rood screen, designed by Temple Moore and built by JE Elwell of Beverley around 1885. Moore also designed the east window, which was created to celebrate the 21st birthday of the eldest son of the 1st Earl Londesborough.
The Lady Chapel is awash with memorial brasses to members of the Boyle family, Earls of Burlington, whose family vault lies under the chancel. The entry to the vault is in the chapel, indicated by two heavy iron rings set into the floor. The brasses were originally used as mere coffin plates, but were later set on the wall to show who was buried in the crypt. It is interesting to see such relatively simple and unasuming nameplates for a succession of rich and influential lords.