About this church
Situated in the small village of Isle Brewers and was built in 1861 close to the site of a much older church. The new church project was funded by public subscription and the generosity of the illustrious missionary and incumbent Dr Joseph Wolff who died only a year after the church's completion in 1862.
The church is dominated by the octagonal tower which includes the south porch entrance. A simple form, the main body of the church is the nave and chancel (with side vestry and old boiler room). Construction is grey Lias walling with strings and dressings in Ham stone with windows and doors banded in contrasting dressed Lias or Beer stonework. The roofs throughout are finished in two coloured banded plain tiles with crested ridges to coped verges with cruciform finials. The architect was CE Giles.
Joseph Wolff was the son of a Jewish Rabbi, and was born in Franconia in Germany in 1795. He was sent to a Christian School, except for days on which religious instruction was given. In due course he became interested in Christianity and entered the Roman Catholic College in Rome. Again, he became disinterested in Catholicism, decided to leave, came to England, received into the Church of England, entered Cambridge University and studied Eastern languages. He then travelled widely throughout the Middle East before returning to England. He married in 1830 and became vicar of All Saints in 1845, died in 1862 and is buried in the churchyard along with both his wives.
Items of interest in the church are the east end chancel windows which are purported to be in the style of Augustus Pugin. The font, was transported from the previous church in the village and is dated from the Saxon period. The four bells are: Bell Date Founder Tenor 1894 Llewellins & James, Bristol Third 1768 Thomas Bayley, Bridgewater Second 1885 James Warner, London Treble 1399 Medieval Bristol foundry.