About this church
Apart from the late 15th century tower the entire church was rebuilt in about 1500.
On the north side, the main approach, is a two storey vestry attached to the north chapel, with a prominent octagonal stair turret terminating in a beautiful stone 'crown' formed of small flying buttresses. The tall north porch has stone panelled sides, fan vaulted ceiling and an original oak door.
Inside all is light from the unusual clerestory and the large windows, some with their original stained glass, including the story of St Nicholas in the upper lights of the east window of the south transept.
The chancel and north chapel have stone panelling and in the chancel there is a frieze of angels with musical instruments. The flat plaster ceilings are decorated with oak ribs, copied from the original ceilings probably in Sir George Gilbert Scott's restoration of 1873-5.
The tall, carved rood screen is original, as is the linenfold panelled screen to the north chapel. There is a family pew of late 17th century date and earlier, although restored, benches with linenfold panelling.
In the north chapel are two fine monuments to the Denton family, who became lords of the manor after the church was built.
In the churchyard is an almost complete 14th century preaching cross.