About this church
All Saints church was built in 1857-8, replacing an earlier Norman building. By the 1850s, neglect had left the Norman church in a poor state. White's Directory of Nottinghamshire observed that it was 'a very ancient structure, having some slight remains of Norman architecture, it had become much dilapidated, and its exterior, had been from time to time repaired in the most barbarous fashion'. In 1856, the building was found to be in such a poor state that repairs would be uneconomic, and the church was demolished.
The architect George Shaw of Saddleworth was contracted to design a new building in the Decorated Gothic styles of the 13th and 14th centuries. Built of Steetley stone, it consists of a chancel and nave, with vestry, north porch and a bell turret containing one bell. Shaw also provided the stained glass, except for the east window depicting the transfiguration which is by JR Thompson of Southwark.
There are two features older than the building of the current church: a medieval piscina and an 18th century monument in the vestry. The nave wall and a window in the west wall were severely damaged by a storm in 1998, but the funds required for repairs were quickly raised. The church overlooks the river Idle.
According to Bede, Eaton was the site of a battle in 616 in which Raedwald, King of East Anglia slew Aethelfrith, the usurping King of Northumbria. Raedwald’s triumph at the Battle of the Idle is the first recorded instance of a baptised English king obtaining victory on the field of battle, and the death of Aethelfrith restored Edwin as King of Northumbria, who played an important role in bringing Christianity to the kingdom. King Raedwald is believed to be buried at the Sutton Hoo ship burial.