About this church
Professor Tristramin conjunction with Mr James were the authors of the earliest work of wall painting in Northamptonshire in 1929. His discoveries here at Croughton was the spur to this seminal publication. Here he uncovered two cycles, The Life of the Virgin and The Passion of Christ. They are arranged in sequences and although rather faded and largely now in the residual colours of ochre and red they represent a remarkably complete survival. Any viewer will be reminded of illuminations in medieval manuscripts of the same period.
The medieval church itself was subject to an early Victorian restoration by its then incumbent Revd HL Bennett. He rebuilt the chancel, recarved the 13th century font, and perhaps reconfigured the benches. Also of note is the chancel window by Sir Ninian Comper.