About this church
The present church was begun in the early 17th century, although it retains features from the earlier buildings. The north aisle arcade is 13th century, and the tower is 15th century. The north wall contains a late Anglo Saxon cross head. All Saints underwent extensive restoration in 1875, led by GF Bodley ARA.
All the woodwork, including the waggon headed roof and the pulpit carved in Florence (which features beautiful pre Raphaelite panels), is from this time and was created to Bodley’s design. He also installed the lovely marble reredos and a notable tracker action organ still in its original condition. There is a lovely carved black oak screen, bearing the sacred emblems of the Passion. To the west of the village is the imposing Cannon Hall, now a museum.
The church contains memorials to the Spencer-Stanhopes of Cannon Hall. The bowl of the 15th century octagonal font was rediscovered in the grounds of the hall in the late 1800’s. The square font in the south aisle is 10th century. There are some lovely stained glass windows, again dedicated to the Spencer-Stanhopes. In the churchyard are notable carved Saxon crosses as well as the mausoleum of the Spencer-Stanhopes.